The deadline for the 2023 Executive Budget is fast approaching, and it's more important than ever to let Governor Hochul know that investing in the workforce and system of supports for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities is of critical importance!
Let Gov. Hochul know that The Arc of Monroe MATTERS! Please use your influence to raise these concerns however you can and support The Arc of Monroe, the 1400 people we support and our 800 employees who deserve a fair wage. Specific consideration for our field is essential.
For decades, New York state has not made adequate investments to sustain the essential programs and services people with IDD rely on. This systemic underfunding has driven us into a critical staffing crisis and eroded New York's system of supports for its citizens with IDD. The data speaks for itself:
- 38% of providers discontinued or reduced programs and services in 2021 alone.
- Average statewide staff turnover rate is 35.5%.
- Turnover costs for non-profit providers have risen to more than $100 million annually.
- Nearly 20,000 critical Direct Support positions are vacant statewide.
- The 18% vacancy rate means New Yorkers with disabilities are missing out on needed care and support.
Now we must inform Governor Hochul how she can help address these issues in her 2023-24 Executive Budget. Our goals are twofold:
- Establish a Direct Support Wage Enhancement (DSWE) to make up for years of underinvestment.
- Include the statutory 8.5% Cost-of-Living Adjustment (COLA).
President and CEO
The Arc of Monroe
(585) 271-0660, ext. 2233
Welcome, Bob Duffy!
The Arc of Monroe was so happy to welcome you! Thank you for touring our world-class ArcWorks manufacturing facility and talking with us about our programs/services and learning more about our Job Path program. We were also happy to share with you about how we can help fill job vacancies in Monroe County.
Supporting people with IDD means advocating for them and their rights each and every day. We are so thankful that you support us.
How You Can Continue to Help
>> Connect businesses with The Arc of Monroe's Job Path program to help fill open positions and provide job opportunities for people with disabilities. We offer:
- A short-term learning experience (usually 16-20 hours over 1 week)
- Accompanied 100% of the time by an on-site Job Coach
- The business provides realistic work tasks; the coach can help with training and direction
- A part-time intern for up to 160 hours (usually over 2-3 months)
- Interns work independently, with an assigned Employment Specialist
- The intern is paid by the Job Path payroll, so they are committed and dedicated to the internship
- An intern-to-hire program - reduce recruitment and hiring cost!
- After an intensive 3-month pre-screening process, an intern is matched with an employer that suits their interests and abilities
- The company takes on an intern at no cost and train them with the support of professional Employment Specialists
- The intern is paid by New York State
- Once they are trained and meeting the expectations of the position (usually after 3-6 months), the business brings the intern onto their payroll as an employee
- Coaching supports remain in place as needed once the intern is hired as an employee
All paperwork for internship programs is completed by Job Path behind the scenes; there is not a large paperwork commitment for the business!
>> Support our stance for legislators to vote NO on eliminating section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act. This will help our community
- Keep workers with disabilities employed.
- Create productive, safe training environments for people with disabilities who wish to prepare for a career.
- Develop resources to assist local businesses in creating better opportunities for people with disabilities on their staff.
>> Spread the word about our ArcDeli catering services!
- The catering menu has our standard options, and we are happy to work with you to customize an order to fit your needs.
- Catering is available outside of regular business hours.
- We have a variety of breakfast and lunch options to choose from, including hot breakfast buffets, hot lunch items, signature salads, and homemade soups.
- We offer delivery for a small fee, and are willing to work with you to meet your catering needs.
Overview Hiring and Tax Incentives for Employers
Here is an overview of a few Hiring and Tax Incentives for Employers. Within the overview, you’ll find source links and documents received from ACCES-VR in the past for additional information on ACCES-VR, their business services, On-the-Job Training Program, Work Try-Out Program and the NYS Department of Labor Federal Bonding Program:
Arc of Monroe Contacts
Chief Operating Officer
(585) 271-0660 x 1014
Executive Director, Arc Foundation of Monroe
Director of Marketing & Communications
Let's Mix It Up!
We would love an opportunity to hold a mixer or Chamber event at ArcWorks and invite members to tour our world-class manufacturing facility, meet our exceptional staff and sample delicious fare from our own ArcDeli! You pick the date, and we'll bring the fun!
Helping Small Businesses GROW!
Sashti Balasundaram, CEO and inventor of the WeRadiate unit, a soil and compost analyzer, was a finalist in a Grow-NY competition focusing on food and agriculture – out of some 400 competitors, he was 1 of 5 winners, garnering a $250,000 prize!
Sashti is a Master Composter, which means he is an expert at turning organic matter – like banana peels and apple cores and table scraps – into nutrient-rich compost. Mixed into soil, compost improves plant growth, enhances soil fertility, and reduces soil erosion. Results include healthy vegetables and flowers.
Sashti sees Arcworks as a true PARTNER in his endeavor to change the world, and shared his testimony with us (see below). WeRadiate is the first customer into ArcWorks new LVCM (Low Volume Contract Manufacturing) lab, and Shashti has been singing the praises of the world-class manufacturer.
Third Eye Design
In 2009, David Werner founded Third Eye Design with the intention of making the world a better, safer place. Headquartered in Pittsford, NY, the company soon launched its first product, a sophisticated wireless, helmet-mounted brake, and signal light called InView. inView is centered on a patented, groundbreaking Radio Frequency (RF) communication protocol, which allows almost all helmet battery power to be used for LED illumination instead of RF communication with the motorcycle. The innovative technology provides for a feature-rich unit that is free from user intervention.
David values his partnership with ArcWorks as our businesses work together to help our communities thrive. Watch his testimony below.