The observance of Nurses Week begins each year on May 6 and ends on May 12, the birthday of the founder of modern nursing – Florence Nightingale. I am a bit partial, but just one week doesn’t seem like nearly enough time to express our gratitude for the selfless nurses in our lives and let them know just how much we appreciate their caring and gentle nature. But hey, it’s a start!
Below are only a few of examples of what our nurses do out in the field every day:
- Advocate with health care providers and others involved in an individual’s care
- Supervise direct support staff
- Work with residential staff, clinicians, dieticians, and other nurses or doctors to deliver a team approach to care
- Work in a clinic or a residence to promote preventative care with the individuals we support
- Handle diabetes management for individuals
- Create or carry out agency policy
- Train many other health care providers on best practices for treating people with developmental disabilities
As we celebrate the care that our nurses provide for every one of the people we support, know that nurses are always at the heart of health and wellness here at The Arc of Monroe. They show up to provide excellent care every day. I am so proud and grateful for the nursing team’s dedication to excellence with each encounter, and I am proud to work alongside them.
When you see your nurses today, let them know how much you appreciate them. I know I will!
Sue Sproule is the Director of Nursing at The Arc of Monroe. She has 44 years of experience in nursing and four have been at The Arc of Monroe. To connect with Sue, email her at email@example.com.
We hope this blog is helpful to you! Our Health Services team at The Arc of Monroe is a wealth of information. Our staff is made up of experienced professionals who primarily support people with disabilities. To learn more about who they are, visit our Health Services page. If you’re interested in working with us at The Arc of Monroe, visit our careers page. If you’d like to give and help make valuable resources like this possible, you can give online.